Are you ready to explore Edinburgh’s Old Town?
to book call 07734 331425
Our Essential Old Town Walking Tour of Edinburgh is the perfect private walking tour for visitors and locals alike. If you have never had the opportunity to scratch under the surface of both the well-known and lesser known locations in Edinburgh’s Old Town, then this tour ticks all of the boxes. Led by an experienced local guide, the tour will include the following locations:
- The Grassmarket
- Greyfriars Graveyard
- Victoria Street
- Edinburgh Castle
- St Giles Cathedral
- Parliament Square
- Mercat Cross
- Tron Kirk
- John Knox House
- Canongate Kirk
- Moray House
- Scottish Parliament
- Palace of Holyrood House
Our three-hour tour for up to 8 people takes you from one side of the Old Town to the other and beyond. We will begin by showing you why the town struggled to grow even in the early medieval period.
Although our present-day monarchy is shared between the four nations that make up the United Kingdom, at one time Scotland was an independent country with its own monarch. During our tour we can explain how our different monarchs shaped our nation but eventually deserted their people to take up the English throne as well as retain the Scottish. Let us explain how this impacted upon Edinburgh specifically and Scotland generally.
Thanks to major changes and the efforts of a few determined individuals, Edinburgh was able to make the leap from being a compact medieval market town to a city that became the blueprint for style and modernity. We will demonstrate this by showing you the evolution of architecture from the medieval period right through into the 19th century with the birth of Edinburgh’s New Town.
Along the way, we will tell you about some of the characters and personalities who were the inspiration for many of the famous writers who learnt their craft while studying at Edinburgh University.
Then there are the men and women who were integral to Edinburgh being recognised as a place of learning in a time that was to become known as the Scottish Enlightenment. Without their endeavours, their research, and their inventions we would not have seen the advances in medicine, science and engineering that took place in the 18thand 19th centuries. This tour is a walking tour for up to 8 people that will last three hours and will cover approximately 3 miles. This tour is taken at a leisurely pace with numerous stops along the way.
- 1 – 2 People……………………….. – £120
- Each additional person, add – £15 per person
- If maximum group of 8……… – £26.25 per person (total £210)
Good to Know
- Duration: A maximum of 3 hours
- Tour times: 9.00 am – 12.00pm, 12.30 pm – 3.30 pm, 4.00 pm – 7.00 pm
- Distance: Approximately 3 miles
- Terrain: City streets, some steps, inclines and cobbles
- Start Point: Grassmarket (further information provided in booking confirmation)
- Ends: Palace of Holyrood House
- Excludes: This private tour does NOT take you inside paid attractions
- This private tour allows time for comfort breaks and refreshment if required.
- Tours run all year round, unless shown as unavailable on the booking calendar.
- Children must be accompanied by their parents or an appropriate adult.
- Your experienced guide will be accompany you at all stages.
- Cancellation fees apply (see Terms and Conditions).