Essential New Town Walking Tour
Duration Approximately: 3 hours Availability: 9.00am – 7.00pm
Are you ready to explore Edinburgh’s New Town?
to book call 07734 331425
Our Essential New Town Walking Tour of Edinburgh is the perfect private walking tour for visitors and locals alike. If you have already taken our Old Town Walking Tour or are planning to, this is the perfect complement to that. This tour traces some of the most beautiful parts of Georgian Edinburgh. It also takes you off the main route to visit some of the ‘tucked-away’ places that you might miss. Led by an experienced local guide, the tour will include the following locations:
- Charlotte Square
- Dean Village
- Water of Leith Walkway
- St Bernard’s Well
- Circus Lane
- Castle Street
- Princes Street Gardens
- The Scott Monument
- St Andrew’s Square
- Old Calton Burial Ground
- Calton Hill
Our three-hour tour for up to 8 people takes you from Charlotte Square at the west end of the New Town to Calton Hill at the eastern end of the New Town. In between, we cover different parts of the New Town as well as the nearby locations of the Dean Village, Water of Leith and Stockbridge. On this tour we will explain who came to live in the New Town. And by the end of the tour you will have a fuller appreciation of why they chose to live here.
Don’t be mistaken into thinking that New Town means a modern area of Edinburgh. On the contrary, the origins of the New Town can be traced as far back as 1767. Following a competition inviting architects to design a New Town, the foundation stone was laid in this year. We call the architecture of this era Georgian as it was built during the reign of Britain’s then Kings, George III and George IV.
The differences between the two halves of Edinburgh’s city centre could not be more stark. The charm and unique character of the Old Town cannot be denied with it’s huddle of buildings squeezed together on the Royal Mile, interspersed with narrow little alleyways. The New Town on the other hand, was an attempt to usher in a new proud, neo-classical style of architecture which would become the blueprint for other cities.
Although originally built as residential properties, it was not long before businesses moved in. The New Town had no choice but to grow even more. But on this tour your guide will ‘paint a picture’ of what the New Town would have looked like in the 18th and 19th centuries. Imagine the carriages making their way down George Street. And the wealthy in all their finery out walking in the clean, fresh air of this spacious and elegant town.
- 1 – 2 People……………………….. – £90
- Each additional person, add – £15 per person
- If maximum group of 8……… – £22.50 per person (total £180)
Good to Know
- Duration: A maximum of 3 hours
- Tour times: 9.00 am – 12.00pm, 12.30 pm – 3.30 pm, 4.00 pm – 7.00 pm
- Distance: Approximately 3.5 miles
- Terrain: City streets, some steps, inclines and cobbles
- Start Point: Georgian House, Charlotte Square
- Ends: Calton Hill
- Excludes: This private tour does NOT take you inside paid attractions
- This private tour allows time for comfort breaks and refreshment if required.
- Tours run all year round, unless shown as unavailable on the booking calendar.
- Children must be accompanied by their parents or an appropriate adult.
- Your experienced guide will be accompany you at all stages.
- Cancellation fees apply (see Terms and Conditions).